What is it like to have dyslexia?
How does it affect your daily life?
Experience Dyslexia® is the latest version of NCBIDA’s popular learning disabilities simulation. The simulation is a hands-on activity that lets participants experience some of the challenges and frustrations faced by people with this language-based learning disability. The updated simulation provides a lively, thought-provoking activity for teachers, parents, or anyone interested in better understanding the lives of individuals with dyslexia.
“Maybe you’ve felt that your child with learning differences is just not trying hard enough at school. This simulation promises attendees an eye-opening exploration of what it’s like to walk in your children’s shoes. “
— Ronna Mandel from her article in L.A. Parent (full article)
NEW IN THIS EDITION
- Updated fact sheets in the facilitator’s packet
- New station names
- Clear description of how each task relates to dyslexia
- Rewrite of Station 2 so that it is more in keeping with a classroom experience
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A SIMULATION?
Participants rotate among six learning stations that simulate language-related tasks that may be encountered in the classroom and workplace. Station leaders guide participants through each 10-minute station.
- Station 1: Learn to Read simulates a beginning reading problem
- Station 2: Listen to Me simulates an auditory figure-ground problem
- Station 3: Write with Mirrors simulates a visual-motor and writing problem
- Station 4: Name That Letter simulates a letter-word identification problem
- Station 5: Write or Left simulates a copying and writing problem
- Station 6: Hear and Spell simulates an auditory discrimination problem
The simulation has been shown to be an effective teaching tool. A 2008 study from researchers at Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU) using materials from the NCBIDA simulation clearly showed that participation increased awareness of dyslexia among teachers-in-training.
See a review of the study
HOW CAN I EXPERIENCE DYSLEXIA®?
Experience Dyslexia® is available as a reusable kit for purchase or as a workshop led by NCBIDA volunteers. Order the Experience Dyslexia® kit or schedule a workshop for your organization.