What is it like to have dyslexia?
How does it affect your daily life?
Experience Dyslexia® is the latest version of NCBIDA’s popular learning disabilities simulation. The simulation is a hands-on activity that lets participants experience some of the challenges and frustrations faced by people with this language-based learning disability. The updated simulation provides a lively, thought-provoking activity for teachers, parents, or anyone interested in better understanding the lives of individuals with dyslexia.
NEW IN THIS EDITION
- Updated fact sheets in the facilitator’s packet
- New station names
- Clear description of how each task relates to dyslexia
- Rewrite of Station 2 so that it is more in keeping with a classroom experience
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A SIMULATION?
Participants rotate among six learning stations that simulate language-related tasks that may be encountered in the classroom and workplace. Station leaders guide participants through each 10-minute station.
- Station 1: Learn to Read simulates a beginning reading problem
- Station 2: Listen to Me simulates an auditory figure-ground problem
- Station 3: Write with Mirrors simulates a visual-motor and writing problem
- Station 4: Name That Letter simulates a letter-word identification problem
- Station 5: Write or Left simulates a copying and writing problem
- Station 6: Hear and Spell simulates an auditory discrimination problem
The simulation has been shown to be an effective teaching tool. A 2008 study from researchers at Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU) using materials from the NCBIDA simulation clearly showed that participation increased awareness of dyslexia among teachers-in-training.
See a review of the study